What are Google Forms? How do I use them?

A topic was presented that interested me. Using Google Forms as ICT in assessment. What the …. is a google form let alone using it as an assessment tool? Off I go with my trusty google search engine.

The first part of my research took me on a journey to find out what a google form is. According to Google Drive (2013):

Google Forms is a useful tool to help you plan events, send a survey, give students a quiz, or collect other information in an easy, streamlined way. A Google form can be connected to a Google spreadsheet. If a spreadsheet is linked to the form, responses will automatically be sent to the spreadsheet. Otherwise, users can view them on the “Summary of Responses” page accessible from the Responses menu.

Here is a short video that describes Google Forms

Using my PLN I discovered Tom Barrett, a teacher from England who has incorporated  Google Forms into classroom assessment. Here is a link to his blog ’10 Google Forms for the classroom’ that outlines how he is achieving this great blend of rich ICT experiences into everyday learning and assessment.

My particular favourite is using Google Forms for the weekly spelling test. I can really see the benefit here as all results are collated in a spreadsheet and identifying misspelled words will be a whole lot faster than opening 30 student exercise books, finding the right page and individually marking each one. Using a spreadsheet the data can then be transfered into individual students spreadsheets and can provide a visual graphical analysis of results over time.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

26 thoughts on “What are Google Forms? How do I use them?

1. Pingback: Technology: Where can it take us???

2. G’day Jennifer,

Good summary post. I wonder whether there are any drawbacks or factors to consider using Google forms in the classroom.

With the spelling test idea, I’m assuming that each student has a Google account that they use when the access the form. This is so you know who answered what.

I wonder if this raises issues around creating the accounts, ensuring all the students know their account details etc. that have to be planned for.

Are there any problems with storing student information on the Google servers? e.g. I got in trouble last year because one of the Google docs we used for group formation included student email addresses.

Lastly, how about setting up an example Google form and linking it from your blog post.

David.

• Thanks David for your reflections. In the context of my prac class all students have their own chromebook and the school operates on a secure google platform. Further details of the ICT capabilities in my context will be revealed this week when I am going to spend some time with my class before they begin NAPLAN. I have created a mock spelling test in Google forms and have used my PLN to spread the word. I encouraged people to click on the link below and have a go at using a google form, incorporating some reflections. This is the link to my mock spelling test http://bit.ly/YtYLvm
      Jennifer

3. Pingback: Expanding my assessment toolbag compartment

4. Hi Jennifer,

Great post, it got me excited about the prospect of using Google Forms to assess learning. As you have discovered, Google Forms can be used in a variety of ways, to peer assess, self-assess, evaluate, design and implement quizzes and the list goes on.

I thought you may be interested in this presentation:
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bHF-ZaXbJ1zjpNySsTepOT-6Sbihscbe_lXXesgPlPo/edit#slide=id.g1132e7f5_1_0

I have also just written a blog post on ICT’s and assessment and have mentioned Google Forms as a tool that can be used to measure student learning. I also have a wiki site and spreadsheet with other ideas for using ICT’s to assess student learning that you may be interested in.

You can check it out here: http://mrsfrintzilas.edublogs.org/2013/04/30/expanding-my-assessment-toolbag-compartment/

I like your idea of the weekly spelling test using Google forms as a collection tool. Much more efficient and easier than carting 30 books home to mark.

Regards

Mrs Frintzilas

5. Pingback: Using ICT’s for assessment | Loopy Learners

6. I asked around at work today if any teachers had used Google Forms for successful assessment and reporting. Whilst no-one had tried we discovered some challenges. When using Google Forms for English based assessment where spelling and grammar is an assessable element Google Forms may not be the most suitable ICT choice as the spell check can be switched on and off by the individual computer user. In my school context this means that students accessibility settings would enable them to turn on spell check even if the teacher had disabled the function. Some more detailed thinking may be required.

7. Pingback: Blog #24 | Academically Speaking

8. Pingback: Drury Lane School Teacher - Google Forms

9. Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your blog and I have linked you to my blog about Google Forms at http://mrsldrury.edublogs.org/2013/05/02/google-forms/ Like yourself I had not heard of Google Forms. In addition to not knowing about Google Forms I will admit that I did not know about Google Docs and had to perform a Google search to establish they are infact different but part of the same ‘whole’.

Kind Regards,
    Leah.

10. Pingback: Erica's Learning Journey -

11. Pingback: Learning Pathways - Topic of Interest : Using ICTs for Assessment

12. Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the introduction to Google Forms. I’ll be looking into using it for my assessments and also explore other uses as well.

Scott.

13. Thank you everyone for your kind responses. Here is a link to a mock spelling test using google forms. You’re invited to click on the link, have a go and submit. I’m looking forward to seeing how the results are collated and if it would be suitable to use while on prac. http://bit.ly/YtYLvm

• Hi there jlwalsh1,
      Wow what a great topic to discuss and explore!
      I can definitely see this being used in a classroom and is a great tool to keep hold of all spelling through out the semester.
      One benefit in particular is parent teacher interviews and having a neat record of all their spelling on file.

One issue I can see being raised around this topic is their handwriting skills. Although computers and typing is become more and more the norm I still believe that practicing handwriting is important especially in the earlier years (I am specializing in early childhood). Perhaps they could practice their spelling throughout the week in their books and then testing can be kept online. Would you agree with this? I would be interested to hear you thoughts.

Regards,

Miss Allen

14. Pingback: Testing the Waters - Using ICT’s for assessment

15. Pingback: Topic of Interest – ICT in assessment

16. Pingback: My Personal Learning Network » Blog Archive » Google Docs

17. Pingback: Google Forms (shared by Jennifer Walsh) | Alice's Blog

18. Pingback: my blog - Google forms

19. Pingback: Features Unique to E-learning — Life Long Learning

20. Pingback: Google Docs | Tiong blog

21. Pingback: EDC 3100 ICT & Pedagogy: Learning Through Connecting » Week 15 – Learning Journal – Google Docs

22. Pingback: Blogs of a early childhood preservice teacher - Google forms…. What is that?

23. Pingback: It's all about the ICT and Pedagogy EDC 3100 » Google Form

24. Pingback: Miss Mathews' Blog - Google Forms