Behaviour Management with ICT???

If someone would have said to me “have you tried integrating ICT into teaching as a behaviour management tool?” the pre edc3100 me would have said sure, plonk a computer or tablet in front of students and viola instant behaviour management. However, the ICT savvy part of me has delved deeper after hearing about a program called Class Dojo. ¬†According to classdojo.com, ¬†ClassDojo is a classroom tool that helps teachers improve behavior in their classrooms quickly and easily. It also captures and generates data on behavior that teachers can share with parents and administrators.

Teachers can manage class dojo via a computer, iphone, ipad or other tablet via an app or by logging into a class account. Points are allocated for each positive behaviour and points are deducted for negative behaviours. At the end of the day a percentage is given showing students of their behaviour performance for the day. The following is a youtube clip of a teacher implementing class dojo.

Usually after watching videos of a new ICT tool I am instantly hooked, however after watching this video I think that for me personally carrying around my ipad or iphone constantly around the classroom would be distracting for me. The focus of my teaching would be taken away from giving appropriate feedback and observing formative assessments for my own reflections on teaching and replaced with a toy. I can see however how students would like to create their own monster avatar.

For students on an IEP or behaviour contract I can see this as a positive tool for them. Parents would be able to log into the students account at home and receive feedback from the teacher about the day or week at school.