Code of conduct for students

It was after reading a post by fellow course member Vivien Clark about using different ICTs with different year groups that prompted me to reflect on the different ICTs that I used during prac. Before attending prac I thought I would be one of the lucky ones who’s students had access to a variety of ICTs including chromebooks. Boy was this to come back and bite me.

Day 1 of prac:  While watching from the rear of my classroom the teacher sat the students down and instructed them to engage in silent reading. Interestingly he told them they can use their chromebooks for online reading. To my absolute horror not one person actually did any authentic reading during that session. A group of boys down the back spent their reading time googling images for their desktop home screen. Girls were watching One Direction on youtube, many others were trolling through online catalogues deciding on which book to read while most engaged on online chat between other students in the class.

The online environment offered too much selection and the boundaries weren’t clear enough, let alone being able to exercise the code of conduct that they all agreed to and signed when they received their chromebooks.

Definitely in my classroom there won’t be any antics like this and I’ll make the boundaries explicit. A dashboard on the teachers computer would stop this behaviour pretty quick.

3 thoughts on “Code of conduct for students

1. Pingback: Week fifteen: What happened and what comes next? | EDX3100

2. Going to play devils advocate for a bit. What were the contributing factors to this behaviour from the students? Was it all down to their lack of following the expectations? Or are there other factors that may have contributed?

For example, was the design of the task – “silent reading” – appropriate?

3. From my observations of this particular class. The use of silent reading time as an authentic literacy tool was not designed effectively. When the class had a relief teacher for a few days we did a Y-chart with students about silent reading and as a result specified a select number of websites (including local and state newspapers, ABC network) suitable for silent reading on chromebooks. Funny enough more than half the class decided to read a paperback book from the class library.

Chromebooks have only been in the classroom for a few months and the novelty of having a new toy hasn’t worn off yet. In the context of the classroom many students don’t have access to a computer and/or internet at home, so having their own chromebook at school is the first piece of technology they are responsible for and have used.

A major factor would be lack of professional development for teachers in managing and using these tools effectively in the classroom. The regional education office are trialing them for introduction into all year 7 classes next year and as such some classrooms are Guinea Pigs for the testing of chromebooks whether teachers are prepared or not.